Monday, October 01, 2007

New Jobs, Stray Dogs

Today was the day I got trained on both new positions. Both went pretty well. At the National Club the only thing I'm scared of is not being able to remember the faces of each member (they all look the same) and remembering how they like their breakfast. The menu isn't that complicated. At the theater I threaded the projectors which is pretty complicated. It took me many tries before I could do the entire thing successfully. It's this huge machine with knobs, wheels, switches and levers and you have to weave the film through it. The guy training me said there's way more complicated stuff to learn, he just wanted to teach me one thing at a time. Stress. Once again I'm the only girl who works up there.
No luck on a home yet. No one answers me!!! I've replied to about six. But I think I might have found a possible room mate, something I gotta think about. I went and visited Anita yesterday. I haven't seen her since May because she went to India to film a documentary. Her first! She can now call herself a professional film maker. She's submitting it to festivals in India and once she has enough money she's going to add subtitles because it's in Hindi and the she'll submit it to festivals in North America. I saw her documentary, it was so powerful. It was on stray dogs in Bombay and how their government pays the public $2 for every stray dog they kill. It was so sad. People slit their throats, throw acid on them, tie fire crackers to their tails. I couldn't even believe some of the footage she got. So anyway... we plan to make a documentary together now because Anita has a lot of confidence.
The provincial election is taking place here in the next week or so. I'm going to try vote but I don't know if they'll let me since I'm from B.C. I think you have to have lived in Ontario for a certain time. I'm still researching. At the same time there will be a vote for if you want the referendum. I have a friend who has been educating me on all this political stuff, it's interesting.

5 Comments:

At 2:06 AM, Blogger Tamara said...

I would -never- in a million years be able to watch that documentary. I know it's about awareness, but just hearing about it is too sad for me to handle!

And who's the roommate you have to think about?

OH! And do you guys know what the documentary is going to be about?

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Darci said...

Brain stretching is always interesting. I think I'm almost at my quota of learning new things :) I feel for you there.

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger trippy spaz said...

heyy awesome!! i wanna check that documentary out so bad!!! it really sounds powerful...

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger trippy spaz said...

hahaha no? whaaat was iiiit?! sand? was it the napkin from your melty ice cream? magic beans?

 
At 5:33 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I'll tell you later, lol.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter